System no. 442 ( CLS, Motion 15, ELS 9 )

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice stands. My Sound Anchor stands for the CLS look better though. But they don't have quite the mass serving to decouple the speaker vibrations from the room. The Sound Anchor stands are not designed to be able to be filled with sand, to my knowledge.

Many thanks for kind words.

I do not recall your having posted images of your system.

We all look forward to images of great hifi systems.

On Thursday my local ML dealer upon request of service by me sent 2 technicians to my residence.

Original and faulty power supply circuits were replaced with new.

And the result great sound once again.

Lucky for me the fault was in electrostatic power supply circuits alone and not the panels.

So far ELS 9 sound great close to when they were new.

I am downsizing to free up funds.

Few items will be up for sale for audition and pick up in Karachi.

Last edited:
1722212052515.jpeg

I have changed the location of the CLS inside the Music room. Like seen in the above image placed along the wall with the greatest distance in partial harmony with formula. I say partial since the distance of CLS from the front wall is instead in harmony with expert Roberto's recommendation. Equals 80 cm.

In their previous position too much treble. Vocals shallow and midbass and bass almost without depth. Improved sonics by changing loudspeaker cable to DH labs. This cable has spade connectors and unlike banana plugs make for very tight connection. In addition elevated original cls from the floor by approx. 11 inches.

In their new location there is more distance from the side wall. Sonics are now louder with more sonic substance. The low end has improved too. All from following formula and speaker specific positioning advice namely distance of 80 cm from front wall. Ran out of blocks therefore reduced elevation of CLS from ground.

I find JBL sonics great and therefore satisfying too.

I have changed the location of the CLS inside the Music room. Like seen in the above image placed along the wall with the greatest distance in partial harmony with formula. I say partial since the distance of CLS from the front wall is instead in harmony with expert Roberto's recommendation. Equals 80 cm.

In their previous position too much treble. Vocals shallow and midbass and bass almost without depth. Improved sonics by changing loudspeaker cable to DH labs. This cable has spade connectors and unlike banana plugs make for very tight connection. In addition elevated original cls from the floor by approx. 11 inches.

In their new location there is more distance from the side wall. Sonics are now louder with more sonic substance. The low end has improved too. All from following formula and speaker specific positioning advice namely distance of 80 cm from front wall. Ran out of blocks therefore reduced elevation of CLS from ground.

I find JBL sonics great and therefore satisfying too.
80 cm is quite a bit closer to the wall behind the speaker (I have trouble with "front wall") than is usually recommended. It just goes to show that no formula is going to tell you how to place your speakers in your room.. Your mileage may vary, by quite a bit. Every room is different. You can try out different formulas but in the end your ears have to be your guide.

Raising the speakers off the floor by any amount compared to the stock feet is going to change the sound, probably by quite a bit. My experience. I can't speak for speaker cables. That is strictly a third order effect, compared to room placement.

Rehan, glad you are happy with the Anthem and your CLSs. One suggestion I would suggest is to raise the CLSs up 8-10" off the floor. Some of those concrete blocks under the electronics will work fine. You will be amazed how much it will change the low end and consequentially the mid range. Ideally get the center of the panel raised to be firing directly at ear level.

Thanks for offering great advice. I implemented your advice along with what was missing prior to, that is accurate placement and serviced, repaired CLS panels. May increase height above 6 inches. You are right with regard to impact on sonics.

Thanks once again.

Last edited:
Nice one Rehan!

Yes, those recommendations will certainly improve things by a good margin. In fact Roberto (I call him Robbo mate) has his CLX's placed on wooden blocks. Then in turn each CLX is supported by the Iso Acoustics Gaia II footers, which I'm using as well. They're fantastic for stats!

The DH Labs cables are great vfm. Previously when I had both the Ethos and Summit-X, I was using a full DH Labs cable loom, which included interconnects, power cords and speaker cables. The speaker cables at the time were the Q10 Signature series, really good cable, real vfm.

Here's a pic of the Gaia's
Cheers matey and enjoy those finest tunes!
RJ

Attachments

• 20240801_000447.jpg
    20240801_000447.jpg
    1.5 MB
INTRODUCTION

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. Gaia 1 correct choice for Original CLS.

MAIN

Each CLS weighs 55 kg and has three feet. 2 at the front and one at the back.

If divide 55 by 3 we get 18.333 kg per feet. The maximum load bearing capacity of each isoacoustic isolator feet must be greater than 18.333 kg.

If we consider GAIA 2 the maximum load can take for four feet is 54 kg. This calculates to 13.5 kg load bearing capacity per each foot.

CONCLUSION

GAIA 2 load bearing capacity falls short by 4.833 kg per each feet.

Calculation is not really necessary since weight of Cls is 55kg supported by 3 feet and Gaia 2 supports maximum 54-55 kg for set of 4. Just by comparing number of feet namely 3 versus 4 we can gauge that IsoAcoustics Gaia 2 will fall short in the specific CLS case.

GAIA 1 may be a suitable option for CLS.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-09-22 at 06.41.39_7d8f4a0d.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-22 at 06.41.39_7d8f4a0d.jpg
    105.8 KB
  • RS1.jpg
    RS1.jpg
    1.5 MB
Last edited:
Back