New member here!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elvador

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
My name is Michael Smith. I used to be in a band signed to MCA records and we mixed a record with Richard Dodd (Tom Petty). He had a pair of ML’s and I was simply blown away! That was in 1998. Fast forward 20+ years and I was doing a project at Blackbird in Nashville, TN. I was speaking with the owner, John McBride, and I asked him if he was familiar with ML’s (I had found a pair of Ascent II’s on eBay that I could afford). I asked was my memory correct or were they not as good as I remembered them. His reply, “that’s what I have in my office”. !!!! I pulled the trigger and drove to Charlotte from Nashville and they are sitting in my living room right now! I love them.

About 8 or 9 years ago I picked up some Prodigy speakers. So glad I did! I also picked up a theater I center channel at the estate sale. I've since bought a newer ML center channel and a BF 210 sub. Their subs are nice. I also bought a Depth i.

Welcome to the club. My first Logans were a pair of Ascent i that I bought brand new. I was never happy with the way the bass just didn’t integrate with the panel at all so I sold them and have regretted it every day since. If the active crossover info had been around then I’m sure I would still own them. Now I have a pair of Odysseys that I got new panels for and actively crossed over the two woofers and the bass integrates beautifully!

Welcome to the club. My first Logans were a pair of Ascent i that I bought brand new. I was never happy with the way the bass just didn’t integrate with the panel at all so I sold them and have regretted it every day since. If the active crossover info had been around then I’m sure I would still own them. Now I have a pair of Odysseys that I got new panels for and actively crossed over the two woofers and the bass integrates beautifully!
My first Logans were regular Ascents and my impression of the bass was the same as yours: never cared for it. I haven't sold them and regret it, only because they are taking up space (anyone near the Albany, NY area who is interested is welcome to swing by). An active crossover arrangement would, at the very least, allow Mr. Vojtko's alignment to be more accurately realized, and also allow more control of the woofer by its driving amplifier.

Instead, though, I went with CLS II's with no woofer, no crossover. In my room, solid down to 40hz, where the Ascent i takes over, but only using a low pass crossover. At this point, I wouldn't think of replacing them with anything except possibly CLX's (even those have woofers, though electrostatic, and crossovers). The Masterpiece series could be the hybrids that finally sway my obsession with full range ESL's, but are well outside my budget at this point.

Welcome to the forum.

My first Logans were regular Ascents and my impression of the bass was the same as yours: never cared for it. I haven't sold them and regret it, only because they are taking up space (anyone near the Albany, NY area who is interested is welcome to swing by). An active crossover arrangement would, at the very least, allow Mr. Vojtko's alignment to be more accurately realized, and also allow more control of the woofer by its driving amplifier.

Instead, though, I went with CLS II's with no woofer, no crossover. In my room, solid down to 40hz, where the Ascent i takes over, but only using a low pass crossover. At this point, I wouldn't think of replacing them with anything except possibly CLX's (even those have woofers, though electrostatic, and crossovers). The Masterpiece series could be the hybrids that finally sway my obsession with full range ESL's, but are well outside my budget at this point.
Well as far as I’m concerned you absolutely made the right move. It’s funny how you said you wouldn’t think of replacing the CLS with anything but CLX. In my case the only thing I would replace my Odysseys with would be some generation of the CLS. I just have to figure out the physical area I need to put those in as my set up is set as far as placement would be. I have great amplification that would handle them.

Latest posts

Back