MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cee martin

Reaction score
Hello all, been a member for a little while but first time posting.
I have a question that I'm sure has been answered here at some point but I'll ask anyway. I purchased my ML motion 40i towers about two years ago and was using a pioneer mark Levinson center channel. Earlier this year I wanted to go ML center and ended up picking up the Motion 6i. I originally wanted the matching 30i even just the 30. So my question is....should I go with the 30 or 30i or go up to 50xti or should I just keeping running the 6i and stop over thinking it ? For reference I'm running Yamaha v6a, ML 40i (L,R), 6i (c), JBL B15 rear, Sony dolby atmos and SVS PB 1000 pro sub.
Also, any recommendations on upgrades ?

A lot of it depends on how much you listen to multi-channel and home theater. If you tend to be more home theater oriented, a bigger the center would be advantageous. It really a judgement call here because money does come in to play here. If it is possible to borrow or try out a larger center channel I would try that first.
Good luck and remember where you are in your journey and where is it you want to go. Sometimes spending a lot more to get 10% or less is not worth the effort unless you have the ability to print you own money. :LOL:

A lot of it depends on how much you listen to multi-channel and home theater. If you tend to be more home theater oriented, a bigger the center would be advantageous. It really a judgement call here because money does come in to play here. If it is possible to borrow or try out a larger center channel I would try that first.
Good luck and remember where you are in your journey and where is it you want to go. Sometimes spending a lot more to get 10% or less is not worth the effort unless you have the ability to print you own money. :LOL:
Thanks Jeff, I do understand. This year I attended axpona for the first time and was blown away. That's when I realized to truly get superb results takes money. I'll work my way up and be patient in my pursuit for high-end results. Till then I'll just enjoy what i have (which does sound good...Love my ML's).

I looked up all the models you listed, and first let me say on the Motion 6i.... yuck. I'm sorry to offend, but let's be candid here.... dual 3.5" woofers in that tiny box will not sound smooth and natural for all your center dialog. The 30i would be much better with 5" woofers, and the 60i even better with 6.5" woofers... but only if you have the budget and space for the bigger box.

You might even consider setting the center = NONE in your AV config, and have it send center to your L+R mains. It might sound better!

For me, my TV sound always plays thru my 5.1 system, and most of the dialog is funneled thru the center channel. And these days, our TV tends to be playing for more hours than just playing music. You will appreciate the upgrade in quality, fullness, and intelligibility of a better center channel.

Hi cee martin.

Yamaha V6A is decent AVR and as such it comes with YPAO calibration mic. What does it read when you run YPAO calibration?
Does it read level for Centre Speaker pumped up and level for Mains reduced for many dB?
As far as I know it if Centre YPAO reading is pumped up a lot it is a sign you need better matching Centre to your Mains.
As someone before mentioned it in here, it all depends how involved you are in Home Theatre and old story is saying Centre is the most important speaker in HT settings.

Good luck in exploring best solution for your need.

Warm welcome from Australia.

Martin-ovic

Latest posts

Back