New house, new adventures, new problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Hartwick

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone 🙂

Last December I finally purchased my first house and have been very slowly getting things sorted out. I've finally set aside some time to get my whole audio system setup and dialed in, not just pushing out sound. Earlier this week I started playing vinyl every night just to get a feel for how everything sounds and WOW! Does this ever sound bad🤣. It's SO bright, absolutely melt your face bright to the point most detail is just lost in distortion.

Some of you might have seen my previous thread "My apartment setup" and you'd know how much I loved the sound of that system in the relatively small but very well damped room. I had carpet everywhere and sound diffusion panels right behind the speakers, solid cement walls and floors with all equipment on spikes do isolate any vibration. My new house is very old and has these beautiful oak strip hardwood floors everywhere, the downside is they pickup all the vibrations from both the speakers and subwoofer. It was actually so bad the turntable would pick up the vibrations and play them back through the speakers creating a horrible boomerang like hum. For the moment I just stuck a towel under it, I know it's bad but it works for now.

So now it's time to create solutions to all these issues so my system isn't beat by a $200 sound bar. First off is isolation, I'm installing rubber isolators under the AV cabinet and getting the speaker base plates finished this weekend, they will have isolation feet as well. If necessary I'll build a platform for the turntable to sit on with its own vibration damping but we'll leave that for later.

The walls are all currently bare and will be a huge reflection source so the minimum I can do for now is getting the acoustic panels I already have hung. The hardwood floor around the listening area could do with a thick rug since it's likely a first reflection area. I do have measurement mic but it's currently packed away somewhere and I'll have to figure out how to use it again.

My kitchen opens up directly to the living room so a lot of listening is just done standing when I'm making dinner.
1000002002.jpg

This is the primary sitting area, I think a rug would do well here.
1000002003.jpg

Behind the speakers gives a better overview of the whole room. I'm thinking this archway over the couch is likely also contributing to some of my issues.
1000002004.jpg

Ceiling treatment is 100% on the table, I live alone and I do what I want!
1000002011.jpg

This 21" slot ported subwoofer might be contributing to some vibrations, just a hunch. It might not be the best solution for bass, but it sounds surprisingly clean.
1000002013.jpg

Setup is the same as before, until my Krell KRS2 arrives next week.

Schiit Freya +
Jeff Rowland Model 1 for the panels
Crown XLS for the woofers
Dayton 4X8 DSP for active crossover duty
Behringer EPX2800 for subs
1000002008.jpg

1000002009.jpg

Speaker base plates getting ready for fresh paint, these are 3/8" steel plate.
1000001999.jpg

Last edited:
AV stand and speaker bases all painted up, the finish matches a car I used to own that I painted years ago. I did the base plates to match

1000002058.jpg

1000002050.jpg

1000002051.jpg

Just received my Krell KRS 2 preamplifier 😁. This thing is an absolute work of art both inside and out, the 2 chassis and power brick weigh about 50lb all together. Unfortunately the phono ground got busted in shipping so I need to repair that before really trying it out.
1000002074.jpg

1000002082.jpg

1000002077.jpg

AV stand and speaker bases all painted up, the finish matches a car I used to own that I painted years ago. I did the base plates to match

View attachment 25439
View attachment 25440
View attachment 25441

Just received my Krell KRS 2 preamplifier 😁. This thing is an absolute work of art both inside and out, the 2 chassis and power brick weigh about 50lb all together. Unfortunately the phono ground got busted in shipping so I need to repair that before really trying it out.
View attachment 25443
View attachment 25444
View attachment 25445
Brandon that stand looks fabulous! And yes Krell equipment is a work of art under the hood I agree. Here’s a look under the hood of my KSA 100 MK II all recapped and brought to factory specs in late 2022

Attachments

• IMG_4414.jpeg
    IMG_4414.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4415.jpeg
    IMG_4415.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4416.jpeg
    IMG_4416.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Thank you! I'm extremely happy with how everything turned out, so much so I'm debating on painting the black MDF portion of my speakers to match. Unfortunately the beechwood top I had made was NOT anywhere near as dry as what it was supposed to be and has since started cracking and warping. I need to locate someone with a 15"+ wide wood planner to fix it. Tonight I'm going to build a cedar top with wood from the hardware store so I can at least setup my equipment while I find someone to fix the existing top.

That dual mono Krell amp looks fantastic, at one time I was looking at some of their smaller mono blocks, they were a beautiful brushed silver with gold nameplates but I have since forgotten the model. I never use the full power my small JR amp makes anyway so it's more than enough.

So I got the cabinet top finished this afternoon and got my system all back together finally. This is the first time hearing it with my new Krell preamplifier and with the speakers properly isolated from the floor. I gotta say this all made a really big difference, just getting the speakers on bases with the rubber feet has made a very noticeable difference in the sound. I have midrange closer to how it should sound and picked up some punch. The Krell KRS2 has loads of gain while still remaining transparent.

Attachments

• PXL_20240914_212541624.jpg
    PXL_20240914_212541624.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240914_220943172.jpg
    PXL_20240914_220943172.jpg
  • PXL_20240914_221020366.jpg
    PXL_20240914_221020366.jpg
  • PXL_20240914_221010638.jpg
    PXL_20240914_221010638.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
So I got the cabinet top finished this afternoon and got my system all back together finally. This is the first time hearing it with my new Krell preamplifier and with the speakers properly isolated from the floor. I gotta say this all made a really big difference, just getting the speakers on bases with the rubber feet has made a very noticeable difference in the sound. I have midrange closer to how it should sound and picked up some punch. The Krell KRS2 has loads of gain while still remaining transparent.
What kind of wood is that? It's beautiful.

Back