ML Aerius 1 Pannel Weakness

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LogDew

Reaction score
Hi, i have a pair of ML Aerius 1 electrostatic speakers and one of the panels sounds much weaker. I am considering just replacing the mylar but that seems like a vary difficult thing to do. So before i try that is there any thing i can do to save these panels?

Hi, i have a pair of ML Aerius 1 electrostatic speakers and one of the panels sounds much weaker. I am considering just replacing the mylar but that seems like a vary difficult thing to do. So before i try that is there any thing i can do to save these panels?

SOME TROUBLESHOOTING ADVICE.

First, resolve panel issue. Then, respected expert members may help turbo charge your Aerius loudspeakers. They may guide you on how to install active crossover and make necessary changes to hardware.

FIRST STEP:

The first thing to do is to verify or confirm upstream hifi equipment, interconnects, loudspeaker cable, power cords etc. other than loudspeakers have no fault. No wires detached or loose in block connector that connects panel to loudspeaker electronics. Loudspeaker feet all touch the ground and there is optimal or close to optimal placement of loudspeaker inside room. To reduce the chance of room acoustic playing a part in weak output from one speaker, try placing loudspeaker with speaker back towards rectangular room long side rather than short side. Thoroughly vacuum both sides of both panels.

SECOND STEP:

Afterwards if you still get weak output from one panel then panel with weak output interchange with okay panel. If after interchange the weak output panel now no longer has weak output, then conclude panel okay. In this case, reason for low output not linked to panel.

However, if loudspeaker panels have never been replaced with new panels, then original panels have reached the end of their useful life because they are approximately three decades old.

Measure to save panel by extending useful life through washing only short term delay the inevitable requirement of replacement.

Due to probable increases in future price level or specifically imaginary hifi price index allocate money and buy panels now rather than after 2 or 3 years. If there was a hifi price index, I guess may indicate very high inflation in this specific consumer goods sector.

THIRD STEP:

When reason for low output is not related to panels. That is panels have been replaced inside of ten years ago and/or are transparent or clean. Then highly probable high voltage panel power supply circuit has developed a fault.

Interchange or swap power supply circuit also known as bias board from okay speaker to low output speaker. Now if sonics are restored of the previously low output speaker conclude that prior to swap, bias board of low output speaker, is defective. If available from Martin Logan I recommend you get two. One for each loudspeaker. Not expensive.

FOURTH STEP:

If interchange of power supply makes no sonic difference. Then visually examine crossover circuit for charred or burnt circuit components and components partially detached from circuit board.

To successfully replace loudspeaker mylar, need expertise derived from training and practice. In addition, need specialized equipment to aid and allow repair process.

Last edited:
Back