Dipping my toes

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vitetech

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
New to the forum and thinking to dip my toes in the electrostatic speaker pool. Any recommendations for speakers <$2000? I’m open to (and actually prefer) preowned as those would be biggest bang for the buck.

You should be able to find several (ebay, audiogon, etc.), BUT:
1) Make sure they have original boxes/packaging
2) Find out if they have original or replacement panels. You can ask for the PANEL (as opposed to, but in addition to the speaker) serial #'s - there's a serial decoder on here somewhere that will tell you the age.
Depending on environmental factors (smoking, pets, "sea air", humidity, etc.), panels average lifespan seems to be 15-20 years, after which panel replacement is a real consideration.

If it's just a "toe-dipping", maybe look for some Aerius i's... you can find them for $500 - $1,000. Check with Martin Logan on replacement panel prices for them, and when you're done, you would have some decent, "like new" mid-size speakers for $2,000 - $2,500.

Also, consider bi-amping with Active Crossover (https://www.martinloganowners.com/threads/how-to-active-bass-section.19237/)
The Active X-overtopic is covered for multiple ML speaker models on here... depending on how you like getting your hands dirty, you could leverage any on of the ideas/designs/component lists provided.

Have fun!

You should be able to find several (ebay, audiogon, etc.), BUT:
1) Make sure they have original boxes/packaging
2) Find out if they have original or replacement panels. You can ask for the PANEL (as opposed to, but in addition to the speaker) serial #'s - there's a serial decoder on here somewhere that will tell you the age.
Depending on environmental factors (smoking, pets, "sea air", humidity, etc.), panels average lifespan seems to be 15-20 years, after which panel replacement is a real consideration.

If it's just a "toe-dipping", maybe look for some Aerius i's... you can find them for $500 - $1,000. Check with Martin Logan on replacement panel prices for them, and when you're done, you would have some decent, "like new" mid-size speakers for $2,000 - $2,500.

Also, consider bi-amping with Active Crossover (https://www.martinloganowners.com/threads/how-to-active-bass-section.19237/)
The Active X-overtopic is covered for multiple ML speaker models on here... depending on how you like getting your hands dirty, you could leverage any on of the ideas/designs/component lists provided.

Have fun!
Thank you very much Russr. Your input has been very educational. I will start looking around for appropriate speakers.
Stay tuned, I’ll probably be reaching out for more specific advice.
Thanks again!

Thank you very much Russr. Your input has been very educational. I will start looking around for appropriate speakers.
Stay tuned, I’ll probably be reaching out for more specific advice.
Thanks again!

Funny, just saw a pair of Sequel is in my neighborhood at a price of $900. Thoughts?

Sequel or Sequel II? I think the Sequel II is generally considered to be the first ML that got the hybrid thing right. For either, if they have the original panels you should be thinking of replacing as they'd be 30+ years old.

ML has a "Product Museum" link, below:

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/support/museum#support-menu
Sequel II. Autocorrect changed it to “is”. Thanks for the feedback, I’m going to buy them.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago, bought a used pair of the entry level electromotion ESL’s and it was a great entry point…but I quickly wanted more.
Now you should find some ESL’s or better yet ESL-X’s in your range but honestly if you go down the road of buying an older (cheaper) speaker then pay for new panels you’re better off buying a newer, better speaker for that same total expense.
I own the entry level masterpiece series Classic 9’s which you can find used for $3,500 +\- a bit and they’re amazing, especially as you improve what’s feeding them over time.
Regardless of what you do, make sure your amp feeding them is up to the task of ESL demands or you’ll be disappointed or at worst, frying gear.

Hi Tmort. Thanks for the advice. I have a Parasound HCA-1500 (~200 wpc) that I hope will work well with these speakers.

Thank you everyone for the input! You are an awesome community and I am already glad to have joined it!

Hi Vitetech welcome to the forum Michigan here too. Where in MI are you? Hartland Twp here. Tmort has great advice there and I’m going to make you an offer you may really like. I have a pair of Classic 9 speakers that I’ve had for about 3 years I ended up buying a pair of Odysseys and new panels for them. I listed the 9s for sale and had zero interest. They are $7000/pair new, but if you’re interested I’d let them go for the $2000 at the top of your budget. The speakers are in excellent condition and I’ve had them covered in a back bedroom since I got the Odysseys. They are cherry finish. Msg me if you’re interested in my welcome to the forum offer.

Hi Vitetech welcome to the forum Michigan here too. Where in MI are you? Hartland Twp here. Tmort has great advice there and I’m going to make you an offer you may really like. I have a pair of Classic 9 speakers that I’ve had for about 3 years I ended up buying a pair of Odysseys and new panels for them. I listed the 9s for sale and had zero interest. They are $7000/pair new, but if you’re interested I’d let them go for the $2000 at the top of your budget. The speakers are in excellent condition and I’ve had them covered in a back bedroom since I got the Odysseys. They are cherry finish. Msg me if you’re interested in my welcome to the forum offer.
Hi DanR,
Thanks for the offer, but I already pulled the trigger on the Sequel IIs. I will keep your offer in mind should that one fall through. I’m in the Metro Detroit area.

Back