Changes in Tidal streaming service

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpokuls

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of months ago, the $19.99 monthly fee for the Tidal top tier service was reduced to $9.99.

It looks like all the MQA files will be replaced by FLAC.

I noticed that some MQA files (i.e. some Patricia Barber albums) that originally were 24 bit /192 kHz files were replaced
16 bit/44. kHz files which is of course a lower resolution (i.e. CD quality).

I primarily went to Tidal because of the "hi-res" files.

Are other Tidal users seeing this?

Frankly, knowing that they're ditching MQA might bring me back to Tidal! I'm using Qobuz now and like it very much. Some things about Tidal I liked better, except for MQA which I don't like, so I might try it out again.

Frankly, knowing that they're ditching MQA might bring me back to Tidal! I'm using Qobuz now and like it very much. Some things about Tidal I liked better, except for MQA which I don't like, so I might try it out again.
Another totally satisfied user of Qobuz here.

I saw the mention of deprication of MQA on Reddit yesterday, but never received the email from Tidal myself stating this. I'm glad to see this is indeed the case, but I'm concerned about the OP's comment on some reduced quality.

I'll keep an eye out and post here if I notice any other quality reduction actions.

I just got the email, too. Upon reading the "more info" link, I found this:

"If you have an MQA track or album in your Collection – including in playlists – the track will automatically be replaced by the highest quality FLAC version that has been distributed to TIDAL."

So it sounds like they're targeting highest quality replacements but will depend on licensed rights and permissions to Tidal.

Right now they seem to have both FLAC and MQA versions of many of the songs I listen to and we can chose what we want. I imagine now the same FLAC songs will remain but the MQA will disappear. This means we have less choice now. I suppose later they may pickup more FLAC files? Right now they already have a bunch.

This is NOT good. I hope it doesn't affect me.

"ARE THERE ANY SONGS THAT ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE ON TIDAL NOW?

While we have at least 16-bit, 44.1 kbps FLAC versions for nearly all MQA tracks today, we may not have a replacement for every single one. We are working hard to ensure all existing MQA tracks will be replaced with a FLAC version in a timely manner."

I would've thought that they would start off with a pretty significant chunk of FLACs (originally rendered in FLAC or converted from MQA to FLAC), and then perform "conversions-on-demand" - i.e. as you select a (MQA) file to play, it gets converted to FLAC, stored & streamed to you (assuming sampling, etc. is comparable & the conversion tools are (a) accurate and (b) pretty damn quick.

Back