Cabinet Ring?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiBoneFramer

Reaction score
If anyone has 15As would they be willing to hook up a tone generator and play 193-203hz through the speakers at a modest volume and report if they hear anything other than the tone? Both my speakers ring pretty bad. I've done all I could, but will soon be talking to ML about it. Honestly not impressed considering speaker price. My dealer thinks its normal and not uncommon for complicated speakers to have a resonance. If anyone has 13s or 11s and wants to try too be my guest!

I had a similar situation with my 13's. I heard a buzzing sound especially when I played music that featured bass cellos.

As you did, I used a tone generator and found that the buzzing happened at around 195 Hz.

I borrowed some bookshelf speakers from my neighbor, and found that they also buzzed at 195 Hz. I concluded that it was something in
the room.

I placed some scrap pieces of carpeting under the speakers and the buzzing stopped.

I'm thinking of buying some Gaia II isolation feet because the carpeting looks really bad.

Last edited:
Dude I have gaia Isolators under my speakers. In fact, 2 of my feet are on carpet. Can you upload a pick of what you did?

Sorry, can't take a picture. Wife made me get rid of the carpeting because it looked very bad.

But it was just 4" X 4" squares of indoor wall-to-wall carpeting under each of the speaker's feet plus I
added some anti-vibration pads between the speaker feet and the carpeting.

From Amazon: DURA-GRIP Good Vibrations™ Speaker Isolation Pads Low Profile 1/4" Thick

Attachments

• 71BZpu-b7XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71BZpu-b7XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
My dealer thinks its normal and not uncommon for complicated speakers to have a resonance.

After such statement, I would for sure question professionalism of my dealer. Removing resonances is one of the basics of speakers design.

I had resonance in one of 13A's coming from loosened internal wire attachment in the past. My dealer sorted it out at my place. No resonances on 15A's.

But "I have resonances" is something like to "my back hurts". Potential causes can be different - is it design flaw? specific speaker quality issue? room? installation? I think you will have to investigate real root cause - it took me whole weekend to nail down the issue on 13A's.
Hint - put something adequately heavy on woofer cabinet, and observe whether ringing changes. This will point you in the room or speaker direction.

Back