amp upgrade under consideration

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VideoVic

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Hello. I am looking to upgrade my Rotel RB-1582MKII stereo amp in the near future. I have the ESL - X speakers. My budget would be in the $7K range for the amp, new XLR cables and new speaker cables ( I intend to biamp and use the Rotel amp to drive the ESL-X woofers), so I figure that means somewhere between $5 to 6K for the amp itself.

Has anyone had any experience driving M-L speakers with a McIntosh amp, specifically the MC152?
I am not technically inclined and unsure if the transformer speaker taps on the Mac are the way to go???

I welcome any feedback appropriate to this inquiry, or suggestions for other amps in my budget.
Thanks in advance.

VideoVIc

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650134627-pass-labs-x3508-power-amplifier/

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649790564-pass-labs-x3505-amplifier/

Priced at the upper limit of your budget. The X350.8 seems to be a better deal if you can verify in stellar state and not water damaged by tropical storm.

http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/...ders-sound-mk-ii-esl-amp-with-1-year-warranty

Sanders amp is great for panels. And a great choice if you can verify amp is in stellar state.

A new Sanders ESL Mark 2 stereo amp after $500 MLO member discount is $5500. This is the same price as the McIntosh MC 152.

Goal is to add amplifier that produces effortless sonics from ML. I guess in this regard the Sanders has upper hand. Offer a free in home trial period. If not satisfied with sonics may return amplifier.

https://carydirect.com/shop-now/sli-100.html

Cary Audio SLI-100 by reason of selling factory direct is approx. 1/3 less expensive than Conrad Johnson. I have not listened to any product made by Cary audio. Only read good things.

Last edited:
With that budget, I'd highly recommend the Sanders Sound System ESL amp. It puts out a huge amount of power, easily doubling output for every halving of impedance. This is important since an ESL panel dips into the 2 to 3-ohm range.
My Sanders ESL amp directly drives the huge Monolith panels with ease.
https://sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers

As noted above, they offer a $500 discount to MLO members.

For your application, I recommend the ESL amp over the Magtech since it will only be used to drive the panel.

Several of us on this board have it, and we all love it.

Is the Sanders sound skewed towards musical or detailed? Lately, I prefer the detail over the musical as it lends well due to how fast the panels sound compared with cone speakers.

Is the Sanders sound skewed towards musical or detailed? Lately, I prefer the detail over the musical as it lends well due to how fast the panels sound compared with cone speakers.
I qualify it as neutral, meaning I hear everything in the recording (good and bad).
Given the power reserves, it is effortless at any level.

But given your two choices, I'd say detailed.

Thank you, all good suggestions! I am new at posting and now I realize I should have included more specifics, such as I only will consider brand new (maybe open box or demo with full factory warranty) and I have a space and weight limitation as the amp has to be placed within a cherry TV cabinet (open back and front for ventilation) as a spousal concession.

The Sanders ESL amp is of course a contender, especially with the discount and now knowing I do not need the MagTech version. It will fit in my cabinet, and the weight is manageable. The McIntosh would be pushing those limitations for sure, but it is a thing of beauty to my eyes.

One other consideration I've read in other threads here is the Benchmark AHB2. If I go with this amp, I could start with one amp in a stereo configuration and have plenty of $$ left for good quality isolators, power cord, speaker cables and interconnects to my preamp, with the ultimate goal of adding a second amp down the road and reconfigure them as mono blocks (and still be able to fit them both in my cabinet).

What say ye?

Thank you, all good suggestions! I am new at posting and now I realize I should have included more specifics, such as I only will consider brand new (maybe open box or demo with full factory warranty) and I have a space and weight limitation as the amp has to be placed within a cherry TV cabinet (open back and front for ventilation) as a spousal concession.

The Sanders ESL amp is of course a contender, especially with the discount and now knowing I do not need the MagTech version. It will fit in my cabinet, and the weight is manageable. The McIntosh would be pushing those limitations for sure, but it is a thing of beauty to my eyes.

One other consideration I've read in other threads here is the Benchmark AHB2. If I go with this amp, I could start with one amp in a stereo configuration and have plenty of $$ left for good quality isolators, power cord, speaker cables and interconnects to my preamp, with the ultimate goal of adding a second amp down the road and reconfigure them as mono blocks (and still be able to fit them both in my cabinet).

What say ye?

Match or even better synergy amongst system components is crucial. Otherwise, standalone great components sound mediocre. Sanders gives you the opportunity, through their home trial period with full refund if unsatisfied, to determine if their amp match with client loudspeaker. Benchmark does not offer home trial.

Whether total Harmonic distortion 1% or 0.01% most humans unable to hear difference. Human ear sense distortion if THD greater than 1%. Both, possibly Sanders Sound System and definitely Benchmark have less than 1 in 100-part THD. Ergo Benchmark unique selling proposition does not really differentiate their amp from most other amps. Their unique selling proposition may be able to differentiate their product to the same extent as Benchmark amplifier external eye candy.

To give first preference, rank and buy components on the basis of external product design rather than what is inside may be detrimental to achieving stellar sound.

Benchmark Bridged mono amp see their minimum impedance driving capability reduced or halved. For Benchmark this is from 3 ohms to 6 ohms. I may be mistaken however I see significant impedance mismatch when operating 2 Benchmark amps and ESL Electromotion X.

Sanders Sound System amp may give you the highly valued sense of sonic ease or effortlessness. Single or double Benchmark power amp may not give you a sense of effortless sonics when operated with ELS Electromotion X. I Have not heard both amplifiers.

In addition, the sales value of 2 Benchmark amps, that are also less able impedance wise compared to Sander's sound System, will exceed your budget limit and exceed the price of stereo Sanders Sound System amp by 1500$.

I have been using Benchmark RCA to XLRM cable for approx. 5 years. They sound good and are I think a very good value. Benchmark banana plugs at both ends loudspeaker cable, pure XLR interconnect, power cord along with Sanders Sound System stereo-amplifier may not exceed your budget limit of 6k.

Another very good value cable company is world best cables. Not tried their cable.

Last edited:

What say ye?
I don't recommend buying a stereo solid state amp with the intent of converting it to a momoblock down the road. Hollow state is fine. You just strap the output transformer secondaries in parallel, giving you half the original output impedance. If the MC152 is one of Mac's solid state amps with OT's the same applies. With direct coupled solid state the only option is bridging, which doubles the effective output impedance. With ESL's you want to be a miser with output impedance. The ideal is zero. Strapping the outputs of direct coupled SS amps in parallel would almost certainly destroy something, hopefully just a fuse.

Match or even better synergy amongst system components is crucial. Otherwise stand alone great components sound mediocre. Sanders gives you the opportunity, through their home trial period with full refund if unsatisfied, to determine if their amp match with client loudspeaker. BM does not offer home trial.

Whether total Harmonic distortion 1% or 0.01% most humans unable to hear difference. Human ear sense distortion if THD greater than 1%. Both, possibly SSS and definitely BM have less than 1 in 100 part THD. Ergo BM USP does not really differentiate their amp from most other amps. Their USP may be able to differentiate their product to the same extent as AHB2 external eye candy.

To give first preference, rank and buy components on the basis of external product design rather than what is inside may be detrimental to achieving stellar sound.

BM Bridged mono amp see their minimum impedance driving capability reduced or halved. For BM this is from 3 ohms to 6 ohms. I may be mistaken however I see significant impedance mismatch when operating 2 AHB2 and ESLX.

SSS amp may give you the highly valued sense of sonic ease or effortlessness. Single or double AHB2 may not give you a sense of effortless sonics when operated with ELSX. I Have not heard both amplifiers.

In addition the sales value of 2 BM amps, that are also less able impedance wise compared to SSS, will exceed your budget limit and exceed the price of stereo SSS amp by 1500$.

I have been using Benchmark RCA to XLRM cable for approx. 5 years. They sound good and are I think a very good value. Benchmark banana plugs at both ends loudspeaker cable, pure XLR interconnect, power cord along with SSS stereo-amplifier may not exceed your budget limit of 6k.

Another very good value cable company is world best cables. Not tried their cable.
Thank you for a detailed and informative response!

I’m using the Sanders Magtech to drive panels in my classic 9’s (yes overkill you might think), but I can’t imagine a better mate to the panels than Sanders. My prior amp, while rated at 400w at 4 ohms was clearly out of breath on the high end given the clarity the Magtech provides.
As a friend reminded me, there’s no substitute for horsepower!
I’d of bought the ESL amp but found a great used magtech I couldn’t resist.

I’m using the Sanders Magtech to drive panels in my classic 9’s (yes overkill you might think), but I can’t imagine a better mate to the panels than Sanders. My prior amp, while rated at 400w at 4 ohms was clearly out of breath on the high end given the clarity the Magtech provides.
Thank you for your response, I'm getting convinced the Sanders is the way to go.!

Hello again Tmort. May I ask you what preamp and interconnects you are using with the MagTech amp?

Back