Trouble with my older Marantz receiver. SR6006 Any ideas guys?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost certainly a physical intermittent, nothing to do with the microprocessor, or settings. As someone suggested, a bad solder joint or a relay. If you're comfortable with it, pop the cover and wiggle things around. Aside from the raw 120VAC probably nothing that could hurt you. Use an insulated tool just to be safe.

Also, you could clean and exercise all the switches and controls, with contact cleaner. And any chips in sockets, give them a push down with your fingers. You might hear a crunching sound as the contacts shift.

In addition to wiggling things, you could try circuit cooling spray on individual components.

Intermittents can be a bear to troubleshoot. You have to be comfortable with diddling around with things while it's operating. Unlike tube gear or ESL innards, there's very little inside that can hurt you.
Thanks for the advice. Luckily its in a place hardly used and wont cause much disruption while it is messed up. I really hate intermittent problems like this. Almost rather it just be messed up all of the time and I know for sure it is toast.

Well, the receiver was used many hours watching TV and streaming from Amazon TV. No problems! So now I'm thinking it could be the sound card on the pc, the optical jack on the receiver, or the optics cable.

Strange thing is, the sound was mute when I did the speaker level check on the receiver the last time it went silent. That points to the receiver having problems and not an outside force. I'm lost.

Maybe when I switched off the auto setting on digital vs analog input it fixes the issue. In the past it worked well but maybe the part that controls that went bad.

We need to play some hours of pc gaming now to see if that recreates the audio dropout.

Well, sounds cut out again. It's only the front left and right channels that cut out, the center channel is fine and plays while the fronts cut out. Once again I went into setting and tested the channel volume levels in the menu. Both the front channels had zero sound output while the center is fine. I'm not using the other 4 rear channels now, so don't know if they go out.

Oh, and I heard a relay flick when the sound went out. It makes the same sound as when you turn the avr on and off. Same exact clicking sound.

Turning the receiver on and off several times will get the channels back on again. Pain in the ass. The problem seems to be totally random. Sometimes it can be used for days and have no problems, and then other times it goes off several times an hour.

My opinion of Marantz is pretty bad now. This receiver isn't very old really. Never had a higher priced receiver like this go out. My new Marantz is now having firmware update issues. I started a thread on that. Doubt I will buy any more Marantz equipment.

Oh, and I heard a relay flick when the sound went out. It makes the same sound as when you turn the avr on and off. Same exact clicking sound.

Turning the receiver on and off several times will get the channels back on again. Pain in the ass. The problem seems to be totally random. Sometimes it can be used for days and have no problems, and then other times it goes off several times an hour.
This makes it sound like a flaky relay is the problem. Can you see the relay and tap on it through slots in the cover while it's acting up? If you can't reach it (and don't want to remove the cover), try some percussive diagnostics, ie banging on it to see if the relay is sticking and needs some 'encouragement.'

This makes it sound like a flaky relay is the problem. Can you see the relay and tap on it through slots in the cover while it's acting up? If you can't reach it (and don't want to remove the cover), try some percussive diagnostics, ie banging on it to see if the relay is sticking and needs some 'encouragement.'
Are there separate relays for each channel, or at least more than one? Somehow the center channel still works while the front right and left are out.

The problem just started yesterday out of the blue. It has been fine for many years, and luckily this is on the spare home theater setup in the basement.

When my daughter was playing a PC game the sound cut out on all of the speakers. The only speaker making sound was the subwoofer. I only have 3 channels connected: left, center, and right. The 3 speakers were silent for no reason. I checked on it for her and switched input over to the cable box and still no sound on tv. I then went into the menu and tried doing the white noise on each channel to see if they would work. The left and right channel had no noise but then the center channel worked. Still no sound from the left and right. I messed around with a few more settings trying to find something wrong but no luck. I unplugged the receiver and plugged it back in. Still no sound on the left and right speakers. I had already of course checked all of the physical connections.

Then all of the sudden the speakers all came back on again. Tonight she was playing another game and the sound did the same thing to her. Ive not been in the room when it occurs, so not sure if there is something I am missing. She turned everything off and then about an hour later I checked it again and the sound is just fine now. I had it on the cable box to watch tv for about 30 minutes and watching youtube videos and it didnt cut out again.

I read in the manual about "resetting the microprocessor". A process where you turn off the power. Then hold the power button while at the same time pressing zone select and DIsplay buttons at the same time. Its supposed to do some kind of factory reset. I havent done it yet because Id hate to lose all of my settings for no reason. Id like to not have to do audyssey again and redo all of the HDMI and digital input settings. If the problem occurs a 3rd time then I guess I really have no choice.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? Im stumped. It seems like somehow the amp(S) are going out? It really isnt that old and hasnt been used much the last 3 years or so. Ive got a Denon receiver that is more than 20 years old and works like new. Hard to believe a Marantz would crap out like this. The red lights are not coming on to indicate a bad amp. Maybe they came on and I didnt notice it or missed it because I wasnt in the room when it happened.

Doesnt make sense why the sound would cut out and then come back on later. She said it was cutting in and out while playing the game. When I checked it out, both the left and right channels were not working. Then bam, they came back on and were fine.

I checked to see if we have the latest firmware and we do.

Anyone know what doing the reset of the microprocessor does exactly? The manual doesnt really explain it well. Im wondering if it takes the firmware back to how it was shipped and then I have to reupdate it again?
Had same problem same machine. Swore it was mechanical. Returned to supplier. They updated firmware and could not replicate problem. 6 months later same thing. Took it to my own service guy, he updated firmware and couldn't replicate. 2 years later same problem and same fix. Has been going good for years now. Boggles the mind.

Had same problem same machine. Swore it was mechanical. Returned to supplier. They updated firmware and could not replicate problem. 6 months later same thing. Took it to my own service guy, he updated firmware and couldn't replicate. 2 years later same problem and same fix. Has been going good for years now. Boggles the mind.
I got rid of mine. I gave it to someone I know. He might have been able to get it to work, not sure. I was sick of that stupid thing. I have a newer Marantz now and Im hoping problems dont set in with it too. When I bought this new one, I originally ordered the model just below it but it was bad right out of the box. Its been years now and I cant remember what wrong for sure, but I think it was a channel was out on the amp. I returned it to Marantz and then ordered the higher model receiver. Its been ok.
Im a bit scared of Marantz now so ive been buying Yamaha receivers, and they are great. Ive bought two.

Back