New jack here

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

probe

Reaction score
Hello all. My name is probe. I'm a New York City DJ that has been spinning records at parties for 30 plus years. I grew up with a amateur audiophile father who had various systems set up in out household, most memorable set up was a Carver c-1 pre amp connected to a Carver amp (can remember which one) which was powering a pair of ADS L570's.
I loved that combo. Need a sub tho. Those were the good ol 80's. My dad would always come home with audio and stereo review magazines. I would cut out the pieces of equipment and put them on my wall like they were in a rack, hoping one day i'll be able to afford such fine gear. Fast forward to being an adult, I would buy more studio gear than stereo equipment. Currently my studio has a pair of Focal monitors connected to an apollo x6 interface. My living room set up been cool at times. for a while i ran the same carver set up connect to a pair of B&W 603s3's. I eventually gave them to my son and started using a pair of JBL 4312a's which im now trying to sell. Listening to the jbls kind of got uncool. I mean, theyre cool and all but they are more like studio monitors then hifi speakers. at least to me. Anyway being my daughter just went to college and i Have the apt free of kids, i figured i'd upgrade my speakers at least. That when i hopped on ebay and saw a person selling the ML sequals. The first make. He was a old chinese guy selling them in great condition. pick up only. He was in the next borough so i figured, hmm some Martin Logans for $475 dollars? I cant pass em up.
I finally get to his house which was in a beautiful neighborhood i thought these have to be in good condition, old chinese guy, great neighborhood, they gotta be legit.
He demod them for me when i arrived. He has them connected to a Classe amp which he said was only 35 watts. I was like huh? ok! he played some jazz that was kind of soft and they sounded amazing. I was sold. Finally got them home and put on some hip hop. Thats where things went downhill. One speaker wasnt handling the bass well at all. I figured id just replace the woofer that was acting up. When i finally inspected there woofer i noticed the old glue was bad and just needed to be reglued. i got some speaker glue and fixed it right up. now it plays wonderfully. Even though these speakers are from 1988,they still sound amazing. They are most definitely the best speakers ive ever owned. I told my son about them and asked him to come and listen to them. Now, my son is a software engineer and he makes more money than all of my peers. its nuts. So when he heard them, he was just so impressed that he had to get his self a pair. He eventually got a pair of els 9's which are way out of my budget. I went over to help him set them up and now i want a pair!
Actually i skipped a part, the part my wife camm home and saw the 76 in tall speakers in our living room. I dont think she was happy, Happy for me eh kinda but not too thrilled. She was so unimpressed that she had the nerve to say they didn't sound any different than the JBL's. Tuh! Any way when i saw the size of the esl 9's i knew my wife would appreciate those more. So now i just gotta find a way to the the 9's or maybe even the 11's. or maybe the 13's lol or 15's!!! muahahaha... Somebody stop me!!

Last edited:
My wife is the same way. Most of the speakers I've owned sound the same to her. Sometimes I think she's being honest, and she just doesn't really pay attention to the sound quality. Shed be happy with a set of Bose speakers. I got my mother a new 65 inch tv and a Bose sound bar. My wife thought I was being dumb getting the sound bar, and what's wrong with the tv speakers?

Welcome to the ML Forum, Probe!

I guess you're discovering how addictive ESLs can be :)
BTW; I have a Carver C1 and three Carver TFM-25 amps driving my system, and the Carvers still sound sweet.

Charlie

My wife is the same way. Most of the speakers I've owned sound the same to her. Sometimes I think she's being honest, and she just doesn't really pay attention to the sound quality. Shed be happy with a set of Bose speakers. I got my mother a new 65 inch tv and a Bose sound bar. My wife thought I was being dumb getting the sound bar, and what's wrong with the tv speakers?
lord. lol. Yeah I think they don't know how to listen. Ive been trying to get the Ethos as a downsizing but funds got screwed up. I gotta make some moves and see what i can do. right now i could get them for 1600 but I gotta sell something to get them...I cant use my income.

Welcome to the ML Forum, Probe!

I guess you're discovering how addictive ESLs can be :)
BTW; I have a Carver C1 and three Carver TFM-25 amps driving my system, and the Carvers still sound sweet.

Charlie
yeah> im running a Carver PT-1250 at the moment. Waiting to get the carver cube repaired. I wonder how much different they'll sound.

I think some people just cannot hear magic. I am fortunate to have a wife that can hear magic and when I am changing my system she can hear the same things I can. She can hear small changes made by different ICs, different tubes or a small re-positioning if our speakers.

Last edited:
Welcome Probe!! I'm with everyone else here. My wife doesn't really listen for quality. I have multiple systems around the house. I set up a WiFi set up for her to use her phone on the system in the living room. Her Lexus has a Mark Levinson system in it for crying out loud! And she still blasts her Iphone speaker and seems as happy as can be. When she was younger her and her then husband owned a car stereo shop, so I ASSUMED she took quality sound seriously, but guess not.

Latest posts

Back