New here but not to ML/Amp Upgrades Rec ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Mia_G, greetings from Down Unda.

Definitely a fresh note to see the other camp taking up audio more seriously, and what's better to get ahead with ML! Fantastic!

With reference to your question on amplifiers... and which is best or better... well here's my honest advice:

1. There's no such thing as Best or better, only YOU can determine that! It's all to do with personal preferences and it is highly personal.
2. Asking such general questions is similar to asking which flavour of ice cream we like??? You'll probably get a million recommendations and it'll give you a real bad headache.
3. Personal budgets and finances are so varied, it's easier said than done.
4. As a start, I would first & foremost get the AC mains sorted out (if not yet done). Keep things simple if possible: a dedicated AC line for the audio system, wired directly to your AC mains board on a separate CB (circuit breaker). This is a dedicated line, hence is not shared with the rest of your household appliances (TV, fridge, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, kettle etc ). If you do this, you'll notice the difference from the first note onwards! There's no denying it. Some very serious audiophiles go the extra length in obtaining dedicated AC phase solely for the audio. This is a bit looney but it takes it to another level and most of us nornal folk don't have such luxuries. So keep it simple.
5. Once you've sorted out your AC mains, try to get a decent audiophile grade power board, not those cheapo plastic thingys... there no good. They'll work but no where near audiophile grade power boards. Power cords and interconnect cables are just as important but it's not necessary to go bonkers unless you've got a truck load of cash and really need to spend it.

Once this is sorted out, you'll probably know what I'm referring to, then you'll be able to better assess the amplifier journey. Otherwise, no matter what gear you get, your system as a whole is not receiving the best last few meters in AC mains from your power supply grid. That's very important for any tangible improvements.

As fellow members have already listed some fantastic gear: Anthem, Sanders/ Magtech, Parasound, Sunfire, Carver, Bryston, Krell etc., basically sky's the limit! What I would sincerely suggest is to audition as many models / brands as possible with ML stats and draw up a list of say 10. From the 10, just pick out your favourite 5, from 5 short list 3 and take your time to finalise on the one. This one should meet all your expectations (finances, customer service, technical support, and overall performance) not just because the damn thing looks beautiful or is very pricey... doesn't mean anything. And if something were to go wrong, you need proper service centres not some mickey mouse outfit... you'll be pulling your hair out.

Some of the gear that I've used in the past with really outstanding service: McIntosh, Pass Labs, Krell, Mark Levinson, Bryston, Parasound and NAD have all been really tops! They support and really look after their customer base. I'm an all tooob gear chappy now, so that's another topic altogether, I won't go there.

If for some reason you happen to come across any of these: Parasound, Anthem, Magtech, Bryston and Krell or even McIntosh, that's pretty much a top notch list right there! It doesn't get any better than that. These types of amplifiers are designed with proper power supplies, that have highly stable voltages with high current capacity. It's these kinds of power supplies that will fully grip, drive and control Electrostats. Stats are notorious for a large impedence swing, they can rise to over 20 Ohms and suddenly dip to less than 1 Ohm in a blink of an eye! And it's this impedence swing that causes most so called high powered amps to run out of puff... they simply go poof!

So note: it's not just the initial watts or power output, it's more to do with how well their power supplies are designed, with high voltage (stable voltages ) and high current. Watts and power comes second. Once you start listening to any of the gear listed above you'll know how significantly the presentation changes and the high level of performance shifts several gears. And yes, SimAudio is also one of those well designed gear, where you'll find large value power supplies not puney parts. Moon power amplifiers are well capable of driving stats, no issues at all.

Take your time in finding the one that you prefer. It may take several years to determine which gear is right for you. After all, it's your hard earned dollars. We'd be happy to spend it!

Cheers, hope that helps to get going in the right direction
Woof! RJ

Back