Motion Vision - DSP circuit board fix

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chs

Reaction score
My Motion Vision soundbar suddenly stopped working in the middle of playing a song. After turning it off & on, I got the dreaded "DSP NG" error message on the display. As it's way out of warranty and with nothing to lose, I opened it up to see if there was anything obvious that may be an issue. I noticed that the LED display would flicker on and off going from dim to bright to dark randomly. I figured it was an issue with the power supply, so I contacted ML and they sold me a new power supply board. I asked for a schematic, but ML said they couldn't provide it unfortunately.

Swapped out the power supply and still same issue. I took a closer look at the DSP board, and noticed what looks like burn marks on the bottom of a power inductor (foam on bottom of grey cylinder). The resistor next to it looks like it overheated as well, with parts of the resistor's cover broken off. The power inductor has a "220" stamp on top of it, so it's a 22 uH inductor, but one of the color codes on the R238 resistor has flaked off. As you can see in the picture, looks like it's "GREY - RED - ? - GOLD" which equates to "8 - 2 - ? - 5%". Question is, is it 8.2 or 82 or 820 or some order of magnitude of 82. The resistor currently measures at 9.14 ohm, which makes me think that maybe it started at 8.2 ohm, overheated (assuming it started it's path to failing open), and is now out of spec?

Does anyone have a picture of the DSP board that they can share to help figure out the specs on the R238 resistor?

Attachments

• 20240603_104500.jpg
    20240603_104500.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240602_121608.jpg
    20240602_121608.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240602_122524.jpg
    20240602_122524.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Eric at MartinLogan support was super helpful and sent me a picture of the DSP board! In case anyone else needs a picture of the DSP board - attached.

The R238 resistor is an 8.2 ohm 5% resistor - GREY RED GOLD GOLD

I replaced the bad resistor, inductor, and two caps on the DSP board, but unfortunately it's still not working. It was worth a shot, but looks like the only solution is to get a new DSP board from ML.

Even though I couldn't get it working, a shout out to Eric at ML customer service for going above and beyond to help out a customer for life! :)

Attachments

• MotionVision DSP.jpeg
    MotionVision DSP.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Back