Mic for ARC Genesis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furbyland

Reaction score
Where do I get the Mic from using with the arc Genesis? The ARC mic seems to evade purchase suppliers, and the PBK mic is unclear if must be ordered from ML. Can I use a USB miniDSP UMIK that's easily available on amazon (although pricey too) and has a calibration file? Seem like paying $100+ for just the mic is unreasonable.

To my knowledge, you have to use the Anthem/ML mic. I would love to use my miniDSP UMIK-1, but last time I dug into it, general consensus was that it was not compatible because there's no way to load the UMIK calibration file into Genesis.

The microphone in the Anthem ARC kit is the same as the mic in the Martin Logan PBK set, so either would work. You can buy the PBK from online dealers like Crutchfield -- MartinLogan Perfect Bass Kit

To my knowledge, you have to use the Anthem/ML mic. I would love to use my miniDSP UMIK-1, but last time I dug into it, general consensus was that it was not compatible because there's no way to load the UMIK calibration file into Genesis.

The microphone in the Anthem ARC kit is the same as the mic in the Martin Logan PBK set, so either would work. You can buy the PBK from online dealers like Crutchfield -- MartinLogan Perfect Bass Kit

Thanks for the advice. I bit the bullet and ordered from Crutchfield. I've wasted far too much time trying to work around the potential compatibility isse, and it's simply not worth it for $120. Cheers.

Thanks for the advice. I bit the bullet and ordered from Crutchfield. I've wasted far too much time trying to work around the potential compatibility isse, and it's simply not worth it for $120. Cheers.

Can I ask a favor? After you get the kit from Crutchfield, can you please post an update to this thread with details on what mic you received? I have the original black one that came with my Anthem AVM 60, but last time I was at my local shop, they showed me a new mic that Anthem/ML are using now that looks more like the miniDSP UMIK.

The newer mic looks like this:

Can I ask a favor? After you get the kit from Crutchfield, can you please post an update to this thread with details on what mic you received? I have the original black one that came with my Anthem AVM 60, but last time I was at my local shop, they showed me a new mic that Anthem/ML are using now that looks more like the miniDSP UMIK.

The newer mic looks like this:
On ML.com they are still showing the same old plastic mic I have that came with PBK. Is it possible there's a new mic for PBK also, and not just for Anthem processors?

I also would love to be able to use any mic I want, like the UMIK mics.

I sent an info request to ML about if the mic is now an updated mic or the old plastic one that I have. They replied that PBK now ships with a new updated mic.

I also asked can we use a different mic? No.

I guess I'll be ordering a new kit sometime in the near future, but not in any hurry.

I sent an info request to ML about if the mic is now an updated mic or the old plastic one that I have. They replied that PBK now ships with a new updated mic.

I also asked can we use a different mic? No.

I guess I'll be ordering a new kit sometime in the near future, but not in any hurry.

Thanks for the info! I'm tempted to order a new kit so I can compare the results from the new mic with my original Anthem mic and see how the measurements compare. I would hope they'd be the same or very close, but you never know...

I got one of the new mic's with my Anthem MRX 740 receiver. I haven't compared it with the older plastic mic, but suspect they both have the same performance for frequencies <500 Hz, which is all you need for optimizing bass in the Masterpiece series. I suspect the new mics might offer more accurate measurements for the higher frequencies in a home theater setup, and/or with non- electrostatic speakers.

I wonder if ML/Anthem will sell users the new mic alone (without the tripod), for those who have the older PBK kit, but think the new mic could offer an improvement.

I know I am resurecting an old thread but I think I made the mistake to buy the Anthem Arc Kit to callibrate my 11A. I see in the manual that I absolutely need the ML PBK mic. Is it true that it won't work with the supplied Anthem kit mic? Meaning it will not run or the results won't be right? Another mistake by me I guess ... the mic is an exact picture of the one on the ML website but with a different branding.

Last edited:
I know I am resurecting an old thread but I think I made the mistake to buy the Anthem Arc Kit to callibrate my 11A. I see in the manual that I absolutely need the ML PBK mic. Is it true that it won't work with the supplied Anthem kit mic? Meaning it will not run or the results won't be right? Another mistake by me I guess ... the mic is an exact picture of the one on the ML website but with a different branding.

No need to worry. The newer Anthem mics work perfectly well, and are higher quality than the older plastic PBK one's. They have a built-in cal file that ARC Genesis software will automatically apply.

Thanks sleepysurf. The kit I bought is brand new but it is not the new ones I guess. It came with the older mic which is the exact same one as the PBK from the look of it. Now my problem is that it came with only one mini USB to USB A cable (the other is a serial cable, I guess for Anthem processors), that cable works perfectly either to connect my 11A to the computer (speakers appear in Genesis) or to connect the mic to the computer (shows as Arc mic in audio in) BUT I obviously need both plugged at the same time and when I use any other mini USB to USB A cable (tried 3 new ones), none will work. I know that everyone says that they don't use a propietary version of mini USB cable but theirs is the only one that works and I need 2. I am out of ideas. I emailed them but won't get an answer until Monday I guess. Any idea anyone?

Thanks sleepysurf. The kit I bought is brand new but it is not the new ones I guess. It came with the older mic which is the exact same one as the PBK from the look of it. Now my problem is that it came with only one mini USB to USB A cable (the other is a serial cable, I guess for Anthem processors), that cable works perfectly either to connect my 11A to the computer (speakers appear in Genesis) or to connect the mic to the computer (shows as Arc mic in audio in) BUT I obviously need both plugged at the same time and when I use any other mini USB to USB A cable (tried 3 new ones), none will work. I know that everyone says that they don't use a propietary version of mini USB cable but theirs is the only one that works and I need 2. I am out of ideas. I emailed them but won't get an answer until Monday I guess. Any idea anyone?

Sounds like your kit has different cables than the PBK kit I got with my Expressions. As I recall, my kit came with TWO Mini USB to USB-A cables. The Mini USB's plug into the mic and back of speaker respectively, and both USB-A's then plug into the computer running ARC Genesis. The NEW Mic (which I got with my Anthem MRC 740 receiver) uses a USB-C connector, with USB-A for the computer end.

If the kit you bought was truly NEW (and sealed), you'll need to touch base with ML for further guidance.

Hi again sleepysurf, as written in my first post, I did not buy the PBK kit from ML but the older Anthem branded one which, I did not know beforehand, includes different cables than the ML PBK kit (1 USB + 1 DB9 instead of 2 USB). I will update the thread once I get an answer from Anthem or if anyone has a solution ...

To update about my mini USB cable adventure ... Anthem confirmed to me that to their knowledge there is no particularity to the cable they use. I found another mini USB cable that came with my old Garmin GPS and this one works! So no matter if the cable is sold as charging+data capable, it seems to be totally random as to which one will work or not ...

BTW, Martin Logan also got back to me and if needed I could order a cable from them directly.

To update about my mini USB cable adventure ... Anthem confirmed to me that to their knowledge there is no particularity to the cable they use. I found another mini USB cable that came with my old Garmin GPS and this one works! So no matter if the cable is sold as charging+data capable, it seems to be totally random as to which one will work or not ...

BTW, Martin Logan also got back to me and if needed I could order a cable from them directly.
One note about cables and microphones. The cable cannot be very long, but depends on the mic involved. 15 feet is the longest I've been able to make work, and the cables I bought from Deercreek Audio were confirmed to work with UMIK mics, so I bought with confidence and confirm that they work the UMIKs and ARC mics.

Last edited:
Back