Martin Logan rear speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffy

Reaction score
I just purchased used Ascents for my right and left fronts in a home theater set up. My center is the Focus ESL C-18. Please advise for the rear speakers. I'm thinking of the Electromotion ESL X or the Ethos.

unless you want aesthetics, electrostats are overkill for surround duties also having their own set of issues. e.g. first rule of HT speaker placement is to have clear line of sight, which is tough for any floorstamder, and especially for ESL.

I would go for some good bookshelves (good as with minimum 6.5in woofer), e.g. ML Motion 35xt and invest money into better subs.

Anyway 90% of sound action is happening screen side+ LFE.

In my theater set-up, I found the ML's were too directional for surround sound. So, I use them for music and a separate (duplicate amp, etc.,) set-up for movies. I guess there is only one person watching the movies the MLs would be great (but overkill, as previously mentioned).

In my theater set-up, I found the ML's were too directional for surround sound. So, I use them for music and a separate (duplicate amp, etc.,) set-up for movies. I guess there is only one person watching the movies the MLs would be great (but overkill, as previously mentioned).
That’s nonsense if the stats are not good for the rears then they are not good for the fronts.

That’s nonsense if the stats are not good for the rears then they are not good for the fronts.
It comes down to simple geometry. If the room allows for all the seats being covered by the limited dispersion of 30º (and this is being generous as there is falloff near the edge of the beam), then it'll work.

Back