Jeff Rowland Model 2

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Hartwick

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy guys

So I was browsing Canuck Audio Mart last night and I noticed one of the amplifiers I have always wanted has come up for sale. There's a Jeff Rowland Model 2 in all black recently listed for $2900 CAD. I'm seeing if I can beat him up on price a little bit more so I'm waiting for a reply.

I already have a JR Model 1 that directly powers the transformers in my Aerius I's and it works flawlessly and is very easy to listen to. From what I read the model 2 leans more towards air and detail instead of warmth and smoothness.

It might not be the best amp for the money but I have a soft spot for the Jeff Rowland amos since they're just so damn beautiful

Has anyone had any experience with these? Figured I'd check in.

Attachments

• 2e81edca81a6ea32227000e514176b56.jpg
    2e81edca81a6ea32227000e514176b56.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 0
  • d0dec3eb2da8cbf3b853b33a2daa2d57.jpg
    d0dec3eb2da8cbf3b853b33a2daa2d57.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 0
  • 3babd3b6ae8fc6cf3ceb873f2221c511.jpg
    3babd3b6ae8fc6cf3ceb873f2221c511.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 0
Great looking, indeed! Is that great big coffee can on the right additionally shielded toroidal(s)?

Nice one matey! The JR Model 2 is very well designed to handle difficult loads. Solid power supplies, and can cope with the impedence swing of Stats, no issues. Not only design and build quality but also a high level of musicality. I really like JR's earlier gear, and his Class A/ AB designed amps. They do a real nice job of everything a power amplifier is meant to do.

Wonder why the amp is being sold... possible upgrade to JR latest gear or a different higher level amp. To surpass this particular design, you're looking at 10grand minimum as a start. The sale price seems about right, just make sure it's in perfect working condition.

All the best, and let us know how it goes.
Cheers, RJ

I've reached out again after my first offer and requested some additional pictures (the ad only has a couple) and haven't heard back. It's a long weekend in Canada so I'll wait until next week before reaching out again.

I'd also settle for a second Model 1 just to have it, it always sounds great and just works. I'm starting to run out of patience with my vintage amps and tube gear breaking all the time. My Marantz 2230 has been fixed twice now and this is really getting old.

I'd love to replace this giant stack on my computer desk. The SAEs don't sound great and the tube amp will vaporize my cats, it also has a lot of hum.

Attachments

• PXL_20240518_174918935.jpg
    PXL_20240518_174918935.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
So I've been in contact with the seller and he's going to get me some more photos as well as the service history since he claims that it has been serviced but doesn't specify where or how much work was done.

I also reached out to Jeff Rowland Design Group to see if the epoxy potted modules are available. To my surprise I heard back straight away from the man himself with the correspondence below. I thought he'd retired years ago and was no longer involved with the company.

1000003928.png

Nice one! Certainly sounds like the legend himself is still going. After all, JR knows his stuff, and there are only a handful of such minds & talent left. The new guys... well can't comment unless they've been with the company for few decades to learn this stuff. In which case, doesn't really make them new guys... more or less old crew.
As long as the core design is not altered, it will remain a true original design. Similar to conrad johnson amplifiers, Jeff Fischel is the new head now but he's been with CJ for decades. Once you've got one of these chaps heading the outfit, you know you're in good hands.

JR Model amplifiers are definitely damn beautiful and very top quality, without a doubt!
Hope all goes well. That deserves a mighty WOOF! RJ

Back