Hi--new ESL9 owner here.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FulhamTarheel

Reaction score
Glad to be with you guys.

Just got a sweetheart deal on a pair of ESL9's this week from a store that's closing due to the owner retiring. Powering them with a NAD C298. So far, so good! Yeah yeah yeah--I know it's Class D, but so far, it's made great music!

Welcome to the forum Fulham Tarheel,

Nice score on the ESL9's, and no need to apologize for Class D. I remember the early class D offerings were only for subs plate amps. They were cheap but prone to self-destructing but they've come a long way in recent years.

A friend of mine recently bought a pair of VTV class D mono-blocks. We tried them out on my homebuilt hybrid ESLs and they were amazing... serious punch very clean sound. I could find no fault with them at all.

Fellow “9” owner here, they’re a great speaker with the ability to show you the benefits of equipment upgrades in a very evident way! So as the upgrade bug bites you will hear the rewards!
Congrats!

Glad to be with you guys.

Just got a sweetheart deal on a pair of ESL9's this week from a store that's closing due to the owner retiring. Powering them with a NAD C298. So far, so good! Yeah yeah yeah--I know it's Class D, but so far, it's made great music!
If it's making great music you don't need to jump onto the upgrade hamster wheel :)

G'day FT, as stated above by Lepo, true dat!

Congrats on the ESL Classic 9, you'll be happy as!
If you're keen on Class D, and perhaps when the time is right, finances permitting... I would very highly recommend Jeff Rowland design. Although his last offerings were mostly based on Class D, he's switched back to Class A on his latest projects, yet to be released. It's just the way JR operates. Once he's fully satisfied with his designs, he releases them in batches. Once he starts redevelopment on a upgraded design then he puts his thoughts and all his experience to work and develops something that will really be a significant improvement. Otherwise he wouldn't be bothered, and JR designs his Class D gear with a passion!

There are others out there but I have a very high regard for Jef Rowland design, and as one of our valued members here said, "they're damn beautiful!"

Cheers mate, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

Back