ESL 3 Inherited for an outdoor shed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJB

Reaction score
Hi all. A friend gave me a pair of esl3. Had been stored in outdoor garden shed
Covered in mildew - gross
One of the es panels was hanging by one wire

Cleaned them up resoldered the panel and new velcos and vacuumed. One woofer had a small tear in rubber surround ( crazy glued it for now )

I am missing be of the “side trims” that hold the panels in place - does anyone know where I can get one ?

Also test setup is running on old Sony receiver 100 w / channel.

The speakers work but I can’t seem to get enough volume before amp goes to “protect”. Any thoughts ?

Thank you in advance

John

Attachments

• IMG_2110.jpeg
    IMG_2110.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2111.jpeg
    IMG_2111.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2112.jpeg
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
How's the balance? My bet would be bass-heavy?

If so, the panels are likely dying / EOL. Given the condition, I'd say it's a foregone conclusion, no matter what else is wrong.

Likely scenario - the amp is already not particularly stable for ESL loads, hence probably already behind par. You need to drive extraordinarily hard to overcome the low-output panels, so you are just pushing beyond its capability.

Of course, there could be any number of other issues too - maybe start with a panel wash (instructions here) and see if you can improve things somewhat?

How's the balance? My bet would be bass-heavy?

If so, the panels are likely dying / EOL. Given the condition, I'd say it's a foregone conclusion, no matter what else is wrong.

Likely scenario - the amp is already not particularly stable for ESL loads, hence probably already behind par. You need to drive extraordinarily hard to overcome the low-output panels, so you are just pushing beyond its capability.

Of course, there could be any number of other issues too - maybe start with a panel wash (instructions here) and see if you can improve things somewhat?
Thank you. I will look at how to panel wash. Yes they are bass heavy.

Someone used simple green to wash the panels ? Safe ?
And if I have to do replacements - are they available and cost ?
Tha k you.
SimpleGreen - no idea. I'd avoid chemicals if possible.

Replacement cost - not sure - not cheap - so wouldn't entertain that option unless you are sure everything else is 100% okay.

SimpleGreen - no idea. I'd avoid chemicals if possible.

Replacement cost - not sure - not cheap - so wouldn't entertain that option unless you are sure everything else is 100% okay.
Thank you sir. Very appreciated
I will try a just water wash of both panels.
You’ve been really helpful.

I would not use Simple Green. The panels are probably shot but washing them in luke warm water may give back a bit of life back but not permanent. That model is SL3's They will need some current to drive them and the Sony receiver is not going to make it and will either shut off or go in to protection mode. It is like driving a very large capacitor which will require current more than power. You should look for an amp/receiver which has the capability of doubling down when the impedance drops on the panels. These are readily available from many companies and I sure you can get tons of suggestions here.
I just asked about replacing my Sequel ii panels which was the predecessor of the SL3 (Sequel version 3) and they were $1425.00 and then shipping.
Good Luck
Jeff

I would not use Simple Green. The panels are probably shot but washing them in luke warm water may give back a bit of life back but not permanent. That model is SL3's They will need some current to drive them and the Sony receiver is not going to make it and will either shut off or go in to protection mode. It is like driving a very large capacitor which will require current more than power. You should look for an amp/receiver which has the capability of doubling down when the impedance drops on the panels. These are readily available from many companies and I sure you can get tons of suggestions here.
I just asked about replacing my Sequel ii panels which was the predecessor of the SL3 (Sequel version 3) and they were $1425.00 and then shipping.
Good Luck
Jeff
Jeff. Thank you. Will try the warm water wash. No soap or chemicals
Thx

Actually spraying with simple green will help breakdown any organics in there which you probably need since they were stored like that. Just use a diluted solution in a spray bottle let it set a couple minutes then rinse well with tap water then rinse them with distilled water and let air dry at least 24 hours. Do NOT use a hair dryer to speed that up. I found using a hand held shower spray was a great way to do this.

Sounds like the panels are dead due to age and storage condition. The sound level is too low that's why your amp is going to protect mode. Washing will not fix it, they need to be replaced. New panels from ML will cost well over $1000/pair, which is why old MLs with worn panels are basically worthless sadly. There are places that will rebuild them for about half the cost with mixed results.

Clean them well and put them back together to try. You've got nothing to lose.

FYI to everyone, simple green contains no chemicals and is a natural cleaner. I used it on my panels when I bought them because they were filthy.

UPDATE. IT WORKED.
I washed the panels with water then a very lightly with Dawn as you could see residue on the film.
Very soft brush did several washes and rinses
Dried for 2 days
The plastic was really clear once dry
Assumed it was going to be garbage but…
It seems to have worked
Volume much louder and bass / treble restored. Highs are much better

Can’t believe it seems like washing works

Thank you all for advice, guidance and help …

Happy listening.

It's the most counter intuitive thing ever "just wash them off in the shower" and yeah it works lol.

Mine got washed over a year ago due to all the filth on the panels and they're still running today.

Back