Ciao a tutti from Italy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabio Riva

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, I purchased a pair of (pretty) used Aeon-i 2003 and somehow I'm happy. In the past I owned Magneplanar, never electrostatic. I'm an omnivore listener, from Monteverdi to prog-rock and over. I love the ESL precise sound but I'm afraid the membrane charge of my old AEON could be weakened because the age: I noticed a rather poor efficiency so I have been obliged to bi-amp them. Rather good result, but the efficiency of the panel is affected by humidity (I live in northern Tuscany, called Versilia, pretty humid area) so in some wet days they became almost un-drivable. Have I to replace panels? (I hope it doesn't cost a fortune:)

Happy to be in this community and thanks for you suggestions.
Ciao a tutti
Fabio

Welcome to the community.

It does sound like you need new panels. How much of a fortune it will cost, you'll just have to find out from ML. Careful you don't blow something up driving them hard to compensate for loss of efficiency.

I don't know exactly how humid it gets in Tuscany, but here in Albany, NY the humidity has gone over 60% this summer and my ML's haven't missed a beat. It can get into the 20's in winter, though I keep the next room over as close to 50% as possible for the piano's sake. I'm guessing your sensitivity to humidity is mostly a panel issue. Twenty years seems like a typical panel lifetime from what some users here report.

"Monteverdi to Montevanni" you could have said, though I guess that doesn't quite cover the same range. I haven't listened to prog rock in quite a while, though I did recently listen to Ginastera's piano concerto, which I first heard in a version by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. It turns out Ginastera was sympathetic and collaborated with Keith Emerson for his version. I'd like to hear that again if I come across it.

Last edited:
Well, humidity wont matter if you keep the home closed up and air conditioned. Do you have air conditioning?

It does sound like you need new panels. How much of a fortune it will cost, you'll just have to find out from ML. Careful you don't blow something up driving them hard to compensate for loss of efficiency.

I don't know exactly how humid it gets in Tuscany, but here in Albany, NY the humidity has gone over 60% this summer and my ML's haven't missed a beat. It can get into the 20's in winter, though I keep the next room over as close to 50% as possible for the piano's sake. I'm guessing your sensitivity to humidity is mostly a panel issue. Twenty years seems like a typical panel lifetime from what some users here report.

"Monteverdi to Montevanni" you could have said, though I guess that doesn't quite cover the same range. I haven't listened to prog rock in quite a while, though I did recently listen to Ginastera's piano concerto, which I first heard in a version by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. It turns out Ginastera was sympathetic and collaborated with Keith Emerson for his version. I'd like to hear that again if I come across it.
Thank you for the suggestion. Actually I’m listening at medium-low volume only. As the Italian dealer is back from vacation I’ll ask for a proposal for new panels. I’m with you regarding humidity, sometimes here we have up to 75% but I read people from tropical areas well satisfied with their ML (in good shape)

Well, humidity wont matter if you keep the home closed up and air conditioned. Do you have air conditioning
Well, humidity wont matter if you keep the home closed up and air conditioned. Do you have air conditioning?
Actually here we don’t use air conditioning that much: old house under pinewood. Sometimes dehumidifier helps.

Ok, too bad because running the ac with a closed house is the best way to keep humidiity down. A dehumidifier will help somewhat. Also, air pollution from outside can hurt the speakers too. A good air purifier might help.

Ok, too bad because running the ac with a closed house is the best way to keep humidiity down. A dehumidifier will help somewhat. Also, air pollution from outside can hurt the speakers too. A good air purifier might help.
The house where my ML are is in Versilia area (northern Tuscany) between the see and the Apuane Alps (Carrara marble) under a pinewood, so luckily we have no air pollution only humidity sometimes. Anyway thanks for the hint

The house where my ML are is in Versilia area (northern Tuscany) between the see and the Apuane Alps (Carrara marble) under a pinewood, so luckily we have no air pollution only humidity sometimes. Anyway thanks for the hint
We vacationed in Italy for 2 weeks in 2019. We loved it there. Farthest north we were was Venice and Florence.

Back