Troubleshooting clarity - both L + R panels DOA

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfissell

Reaction score
Hi,

Bought a pair of clarity (craigslist) for not much money and in that context unable to test. Turns out neither electrostatic panel is doing much so I can't learn much from the swap-panels-and-see-if-its-the-panel test. Have query into ML service but thougth Id ask here if there are low-voltage test points I can measure to distinguish power supply from audio transformer.

I read a lot of about dust and ES panels. I have no idea the provenance of these. Any diagnostic/therapeutic cleaning I should/should not do?

- blue LEDs on, off appropriate to sensing music
- no change with changing/swapping powersupplies.
- woofers and the little rear-facing tweeters doing fine.

Will take the panels off in a bit and sniff around.

Thanks in advance.

If the blue light is on, then the power supplies and music sense seem to be OK.

My first guess is that a prior user hooked them up to an underpowered receiver, turned up the volume, and fried the step-up transformer in both units (and likely his receiver). Square waves (distortion) are not good for items in an audio path.

So you will need to test the voltages going into the transformer and those coming out, and if nothing (or less than input), then the tranny is toast. Remember to adjust the voltage selector on your meter to a 75x level when measuring the output.

And to make sure you don't repeat the same issue once fixed, what amplifier do you have for them?

Hi, thank you.

What sort of voltages are on input and output? I have an oscilloscope and can have a looksee at actual numbers and waveforms, but before I get an unpleasant surprise... wanna know what I am touching. Also, I have the service manual that ML sent me- I think I can deduce ins and outs.

I am driving with a quad 405. I do not listen at high levels and this will prolly be ok. I have an early early Crown DC300A - predates the sexy front panels and has zero ICs - all discrete components. I could use that if the 405 is underpowered.

Thank you for the help.

BIll

Good to hear you have the schematic.

The transformer we are talking about is the big one, the audio signal step-up transformer, usually labeled as Tx1 in the ML schematics.
On the input, the voltage will be somewhere below 100v AC, so that's a good range to start. The output will be HV and in the 7.5Kv range. The Aerius uses a 70:1 Tx. I'm not sure what the clarity is at, but 75:1 is a safer bet. But be careful.

Hopefully, others who have checked the transformers can chime in with suggestions and cautions.

Hi, I actually do not think I *do* have the schematic. I have one for the HV powersupply but thats all. If its availabel, please send a link!

Bill

Back