High Pitched Whine

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingo

Reaction score
Sorry for opening yet another thread….

One of my Aeons have developed a high pitched whine which is very annoying. It is so loud you can hear it from the next room, so not subtle at all. The same speaker/panels also has some static when no music is playing, but that is only audible from less then a foot or so. If I disconnect power, then it slowly fades away, but returns after 1-2 days after reconnecting (not immediately).

The panels are virtually new, I tried vacuuming, but it keeps returning.

Any ideas? Power supply on its way out? See also my other thread about popping noises when switching on.

Thanks!

This has been resolved, with the help of Hifi Zenit (which also did the refurbished panels): It was indeed debris within the panels. The dealer suspected insects or similar. However, a very intense vacuuming with the highest power setting and the smallest nozzle did the trick.

Would you/anyone in here recommend to turn off power of the stats on a daily basis not to attract dust, or is a dustcover up for the job...or should I just leave them as is (power on 24/7) and then vacuum once in a while (after power turned of for min 12 h).

Any advice based on real life experience?

Most of the models have a sensing circuit which will turn off after a short time, I think 20 minutes but I am not sure about the time. When the circuit receives a signal from the preamp, receiver or what ever, it will turn on. I leave mine "on" all the time. I try to vacuum them every few months. Some people here either have the covers the speakers were shipped with or had some made to cover them when not in use. It depends on the environment on where you live and to some extent in your house too. I lived in the desert for 30 years and had no issues but now I live in a more "normal" place in Indiana.
Good Luck
Jeff

Back